Grade 6: Barbeque



I need to go shopping for my family BBQ this weekend. I hope the weather warms up. I know that I will have many guests; however, when I purchase the hotdogs and the buns, they are packaged in different amounts. A package of hotdogs has 12 hotdogs and a package of hotdog buns holds only 8 buns. How many packages of each will I need for an equal amount of both?You know, the lowest common multiple. How many packages of each will I need if I invite 72 guests? I can’t wait to hear your answers so that I can go shopping.

37 comments:

  1. For this question, you need to know your time tables and also have some knowledge of common multiples to be able to answer the question. I have already figured out the answer using multiplication and common multiples, but you may come to a conclusion a different way(s). I'm anxious and excited to read your strategies to find out how you solved the question. ERIC >8o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Eric and would like to add on to his comment. Yes you will need to know your times tables pretty well. You will also have to know how to use different multiplication strategies such as: Traditional Algorithym
    etc. While reading this question, I was struggling to decide what strategy I will use and finally chose Traditional Algorithym because it is so easy and simple that when I get back to school, I will finish the question very quickly. -Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that you have to have knowledge of both common multiples and multiplication. I also agree that traditional algorithm is a great way to help solve this problem. In addition, I think we should use inverse operation to check.

    jackson :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree to use common multiples and multiplication to get the answer and inverse operation to check because it is an efficient way to get an answer.
    <3 Emmy<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Emmy we need to know are common multiples and multiplication tables
    - NIKOLAI 8P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the above have said, having the knowledge of common multiples would come in handy for this word problem. That way, you could easily just write down the multiples of 12 and 8 until you reach the number 72 which is the total amount of guests.

    I'm just wondering about how a few of you said you'd use the traditional algorithm strategy for this word problem. What exactly would you multiply with that strategy? Please clarify, thanks! ;D

    - Anna (301)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 packs of hotdogs 9 packs of buns

    I divided 12 into 72 to get the 6 packs of hotdogs.

    Then i divided 8 into 72 to get 9 packs of hotdog buns

    Riley :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This question is great. It is great because
    you can read the question or watch the
    question. I think I have found the answer
    using addition. Also, you need to know
    common multiples and times tables.

    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. the common multiples of 12 and 8 are
    12: 12 24 36 48 60 72
    8: 8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 72
    so if she invites 72 people each can get 1 hotdog with a bun if the buys 7 packs of hotdogs and 9 packs of buns

    Emmy:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are two ways to do this qustion for the hotdogs you can add 12 tel you get to 72 for the hotdog bun you can add 8 tel you get to 72 or for the hotdogs you can divide 72 by 12 for the hotdog buns 72 by 8.

    Jeremy <("<)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will take her 6packs of hotdog buns and 9packs
    of buns for her 73 guest's at the b.b.q.

    bit.ly/mathimatics

    Vincent =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that you have to know your multiplication tables and you also have to know your common multiples for example the common multiples of 12 are: 12,24,36,40,60,72.
    Neal :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I answered the question using my knowledge of multiplication, you could use division to but I decided to use multiplication. By looking at the question I figured out I needed to use the 12 and 8 times tables to find the answer. I figured out that she needs 6 hotdog packages and 9 hotdog bun packages for 72 guests. That's only if each guest were to have one hotdog. I wonder if you guys could figure out how many hotdog and hotdog bun packages would be needed if each guest had 2 hotdogs. ERIC >:o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like Neal said you would have to know your multiplication.Also you would to know your division.I also agree with Jeremy but you can do 7x8=72.

    LUKAS:) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. if every body got 1 hotdog and 1 bun you would need 6 hotdog pks and 9 hotdog bun pks. I figured this out by division I divided 8 and 72 and 12 and 72. If people were to eat 3 hot dogs you would need 27 bun pks and 18 hotdog pks

    ADAM 6 =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Emmy, the common multiples of 12 are:
    12-12,24,36,48,60,72.
    8:8,16,24,32,40,48,56,64,72.
    which means she invites 72 people each can get 1 hotdog with a bun if she buys 7 packs of hotdogs and 9 packs of buns. 72 divided by 12=6 and 72 divided by 8=9. ~Paige~ :):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Emmy using common multiples will help find the answer. Also u can us division by dividing 72 by 12 and 8 by 72 and you would get your answer.
    Cecilia :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. INFO:
    • A package of hotdogs has 12 hotdogs
    • A package of hotdog buns holds only 8 buns
    • “The Girl” plans to have 72 guests
    WHAT: How many packages of each will she need if she invites 72 guests?
    SHOW: 12x72= 864 8x72= 576. 72-12=60-12=48-12=36-12=24-12=12-12=0 12 comes out of 72 6 times.
    72-8=64-8=56-8=48-8=40-8=32-8=24-8=16-8=8-8=0 8 comes out of 72 9 times.
    STATE: If “the girl” is going to invite 72 people, then she will need to buy 6 hotdog packages and 9 hotdog bun packages.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  19. becky great job answering the question but i think you mean seven packs of hotdogs or else there would be to many buns and not enough hotdogs.

    Emmy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that if the girl wants to invite 72 people, she will need to know the common multiples of 12 and 8
    12-12,24,36,48,60,72.
    8-8,16,24,32,40,48,56,64,72.
    She would half to buy 9 packs of buns and 6 packs of hotdogs because 72 divided by 12=6 and 72 divided by 8=9.
    Marcel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Emmy's comment...

    I think you're misread something.

    Each package of hot dogs contains 12 of them, while a package of hot dog buns contain 8 buns. If you look at Marcel's comment (or anyone who posted the multiples of 12 and 8), you'd see the number 72 in both the multiples of 12 and 8 (common multiple). 72 is also the number of guests and assuming that each guest is only going to have one hot dog each, you don't need to buy an extra package of hot dogs since you already have enough. :)

    - Anna (301)

    ReplyDelete
  22. INFO:-Packaged In Different Amounts
    -Packaged Hotdogs 12 -8 Buns

    WHAT: How will she get an equal amount of both?

    SHOW: 12x6=72 8x9=72

    STATE: In order to get an equal amount of both she will need 6 packs of hotdogs and 9 packs of hotdog buns to serve 72 people.

    Breann :o):p

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can find the answer by using multiplication or adding. For example: You can do 12x6 and 8x9 or 12+12+12+12+12+12 and 8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8 which both equal 72. :)
    Bernadette :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. if you keep multiplying both numbers(8 and 12) you will get a number where both answers are the same number.

    mark$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with bernadette but you can also use inverse operation to check it
    abel

    ReplyDelete
  26. The first equal amount of buns and hot dogs is 24 you will need 3 packs of buns and 2packs of hot dogs. If there's 72 guests you will need 6 packs of hot dogs and 9 packs of buns.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like how Becky did info What Show State that probably helps with the math

    ReplyDelete
  28. i used the common multiples of 8 and 12
    8,16,24,32,40,48,56,64,72=8
    12,24,36,48,60,72=6
    8 bags of hotdog buns
    12 bags of hotdogs
    Kyana!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I also agree with Able, using inverse operation will really help you find the answer! For example to find out the answer I used traditional algorithm and to check my answer I used multiplication! :) Cecilia <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ Kyana's comment

    Better check that answer. Unless you have a certain reasoning on why you think it's 8 bags of hot dog buns and 12 packages of hot dogs...

    - Anna(301)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Like many people have said,I think you would need to know your times tables pretty well.I think that traditional algorithym would be the easiest.You can also use addition but it might be easier if your better at multiplication.you can use inverse operation to check your answer.
    julia :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. you should keep on doubling 12 and 8 until you find a number that is the same as the other one
    12: 12 24 36 48 60 72 84
    8: 8 16 24 32 40 48 56
    kohel :o)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I did'nt really think the video helped me a lot. I liked reading the question helped because I can always scroll back up the screen and read through it again and hear it the way I want to read it. ~Paige~ :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  34. kyana i liked what you wrote but could you expand on that? for example giving a more detailed report of what the question asks of you .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Even though Billy was right, he should have backed up his answer/explain so Ma and Pa could understand better. So even though Ma and Pa had the wrong answer, they backed up their answer therefor thy had the better argument


    RoMi

    ReplyDelete
  36. what you have to do is find he common multiples of 8 and 12
    (8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 72 80 88 96
    12 24 36 48 60 72 84 96 108 120 132 144)
    which is 72. Then you divide 72 by 8 (72÷8=9) which is 9. Then you divide 72 by 12 (72÷12=6) which is 6 so she has to buy 6 packages of hotdogs and 9 packages of buns

    RoMi

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with Romi because,if you don't back up your answer then a person that might not understand and/or have a different answer may not get your thinking.
    ;) Cecilia :)

    ReplyDelete