The boys in our class collect TechDecs. Ace has 152, Bob has 61 and Cal has 38 TechDecs. Mrs. Tavares wants to buy storage boxes for the TechDecs which holds 8 skateboards in each. How many storage boxes will Mrs. Tavares need to purchase?
The way I would answer this question is by adding the three numbers 152, 61 and 38 together. Then I would divide the sum of the three numbers by 8. The quotient would tell me how many boxes Mrs. Tavares would need to buy. Henry
Awesome job! To get the answer, I tried all the strategies posted.At first, long division was different from the other ways I tried,but I redid it and it became the same as the other strategies.As my answer,I got 251 remainder 3.
The video and the words really helped me think what I needed to do, first I added 152, 61 and 38 which gave me 251, then I divided 251 by 8 and I got 31 R3. I checked my answer by multiplying 31 x 8 which was 248, then I added 3, which was 251.
The strategies i used to get the answer to the question was by first adding the amount of tech decks 152 plus 61 plus 38. then i divided the answer 251 by eight and got the answer o how many storage boxes ms.Tavares would need to purchase.
the strategies I used was to add all the techdecs together then divide the digit by 8. I used the long division to help me divide it 251 divided by 8. the answer I got was 31 remainder 3. kioni
I would use partial math to help me understand adding 152+61+38 which equals 251. I would use long division to help me understand how to divide 251 by 8 which equals 31 with a remainder of 3. Jacob
first I added 152 plus 61 plus 38 and got 251 then I divided 251 divided by 8 and got 31 remainder 3 but because theres a remainder instead of 31 boxes there are 32 boxes. Portia
I thought that you needed to divide the numbers into groups of 8. Then you add all the individual groups together and then you get your answer. Don't forget to do that same thing with the remainders. There might be a few TechDecs left over that will need an extra box. Adam5
Like most of us said, including me, 251 divided by 8 is 31 R 3, so Ms. Tavares will need 32 storage boxes, not 31 boxes because there is a remainder of 3. In conclusion, Ms. Tavares will need exactly 32 storage boxes.
Answer for Emmett: The number 8 came from the question, this is the sentence where it told you to divide by 8: Mrs. Tavares wants to buy storage boxes for the TechDecs which holds 8 skateboards in each. This sentence tells me that I would need to divide the sum of 152, 61, and 38 which is 251 by 8. Hope it helped!
I agree with Portia because if Ms.Tavares had 3 left she should by one extra box so she does not have any loose techdecs on her desk. Furthermore, she will have 5 extra spaces for new techdecs. Jacob
Charlotte,I agree with what you said about reading the question helping you to figure out the question.It really helped me to be able to reread it without watching the video over again. October 4th ***Isabeau***
Great Job Grade 5's you are effectively giving each other support in reflecting on the question and different strategies to solve the problem. How might you justify your thinking through the use of inverse operation?
I did the same thing as Xaviera.I also tried using the different strategies that were posted.If one didn't work I redid it and it did.Adam5 is also correct because 251 divided by 8=31 remainder 3.
MY answer is 31 full boxes and 1 non full box so 32 boxes in all. I can use inverse operations to justify my answer. This is how. 152 + 61 251 divided by 8 = 31 r3 38 _____ 251 This is how I first solved it
Now I will justify my answer using inverse operations.
I like the way the person who did not put their name justified their answer by using inverse operation. This is a good way because you can check your answer to see if it is correct. First you divided and got an answer. Then you checked when you multiplied and your answer matched. Jacob
to get the quotient i divided 251 by 8. 251 8 ---- 31r3 also,to check my answer i used an inverse operation. 31 + 8 ---- 248 the remainder is 3, because you cannot divide 8 into 3 equal groups so therefore the remainder is 3. 248 + 3 ---- so,ms. tavares will need 32 boxes in total,unless she confiscates 3 of the techdecs.then, she will need only 31 boxes.
It really helped to see it because sometimes if I read it i do not under stand it so to hear it is like extra reassurance
ReplyDeleteCharlotte
The way I would answer this question is by adding the three numbers 152, 61 and 38 together. Then I would divide the sum of the three numbers by 8. The quotient would tell me how many boxes Mrs. Tavares would need to buy.
ReplyDeleteHenry
Awesome job! To get the answer, I tried all the strategies posted.At first, long division was different from the other ways I tried,but I redid it and it became the same as the other strategies.As my answer,I got 251 remainder 3.
ReplyDeleteyou need to add all the techdecs together then divide the number by 8. Owen
ReplyDeleteThe video and the words really helped me think what I needed to do, first I added 152, 61 and 38 which gave me 251, then I divided 251 by 8 and I got 31 R3. I checked my answer by multiplying 31 x 8 which was 248, then I added 3, which was 251.
ReplyDeleteXaviera
The strategies i used to get the answer to the question was by first adding the amount of tech decks 152 plus 61 plus 38. then i divided the answer 251 by eight and got the answer o how many storage boxes ms.Tavares would need to purchase.
ReplyDeleteEvan:)
I agree with Xaviera if you add 61 38 152 it=251 divide 251 by 8 you will get the answer
ReplyDelete-Emmett
the strategies I used was to add all the techdecs together then divide the digit by 8. I used the long division to help me divide it 251 divided by 8. the answer I got was 31 remainder 3.
ReplyDeletekioni
I would use partial math to help me understand adding 152+61+38 which equals 251. I would use long division to help me understand how to divide 251 by 8 which equals 31 with a remainder of 3.
ReplyDeleteJacob
first I added 152 plus 61 plus 38 and got 251 then I divided 251 divided by 8 and got 31 remainder 3 but because theres a remainder instead of 31 boxes there are 32 boxes.
ReplyDeletePortia
the video really halped me because it was relalistic. I like to visualize math and listen. Did the video help you?????????
ReplyDeleteI wrote on a piece of paper 152+61+38.All together I got the total of 251 boxes of teck decks.$$XAVIER$$
ReplyDeleteI thought that you needed to divide the numbers into groups of 8. Then you add all the individual groups together and then you get your answer. Don't forget to do that same thing with the remainders. There might be a few TechDecs left over that will need an extra box.
ReplyDeleteAdam5
I used the same strategy as evan and i got the answer 32 boxes are needed
ReplyDelete-Charlotte :0)
I did the same as Adam5 I dived the number of techdecks by 8 and got the answer.
ReplyDeleteThe answer is Ms Tavares needs to buy 32 boxes [251 teckdecks divided by 8 = 31r3]
ReplyDeleteLike most of us said, including me, 251 divided by 8 is 31 R 3, so Ms. Tavares will need 32 storage boxes, not 31 boxes because there is a remainder of 3. In conclusion, Ms. Tavares will need exactly 32 storage boxes.
ReplyDeleteXaviera :D <3
question for Xaviera just realized that how did you get to the number 8 to divide from 251.
ReplyDelete-Emmett :p
If you add all of the techdecs together, then divide them by 8 you can get the number of bins.
ReplyDeleteLuca
Answer for Emmett: The number 8 came from the question, this is the sentence where it told you to divide by 8: Mrs. Tavares wants to buy storage boxes for the TechDecs which holds 8 skateboards in each. This sentence tells me that I would need to divide the sum of 152, 61, and 38 which is 251 by 8. Hope it helped!
ReplyDeleteXaviera :)
Kioni, I liked how you wrote what strategies you used, and how you used them to figure out the answer !
ReplyDeleteXaviera :D
I agree with Portia because if Ms.Tavares had 3 left she should by one extra box so she does not have any loose techdecs on her desk. Furthermore, she will have 5 extra spaces for new techdecs.
ReplyDeleteJacob
Charlotte,I agree with what you said about reading the question helping you to figure out the question.It really helped me to be able to reread it without watching the video over again.
ReplyDeleteOctober 4th
***Isabeau***
Great Job Grade 5's you are effectively giving each other support in reflecting on the question and different strategies to solve the problem. How might you justify your thinking through the use of inverse operation?
ReplyDeleteI agree with Xaviera D because 8 does not go into 251 evenly so there has to be a remander which will need a extra box.
ReplyDeleteAdam5
I did the same thing as Xaviera.I also tried using the different strategies that were posted.If one didn't work I redid it and it did.Adam5 is also correct because 251 divided by 8=31 remainder 3.
ReplyDelete**!!Isabeau!!**
I also agree that the video was very helpful and helped me understand the question more than if I did no have it available.
ReplyDeleteEvan:)
thanks Xaviera should of read the question
ReplyDelete-Emmett :]
The ma and pa kettle are confusing me because it is making me think about the wrong place value
ReplyDelete-Emmett ;)
I agree with Luca if you add all teckdecs up and divied it by 8 you will get the answer
ReplyDeleteWhat would happen if 19 techdec's got confensated.Why would this affec the answer?And what would be the answer now?
ReplyDeleteAdam5
MY answer is 31 full boxes and 1 non full box so 32 boxes in all.
ReplyDeleteI can use inverse operations to justify my answer. This is how.
152
+ 61 251 divided by 8 = 31 r3
38
_____
251 This is how I first solved it
Now I will justify my answer using inverse operations.
31x8=248 248+R3=251
I solved it the same way as Adam5.
ReplyDelete251 divided by 8=31 R3.
!!***ISABEAU***!!
I answered the question the same way that Isabeau and Adam5 did, based on the comments, I see different, useful strategies.
ReplyDeleteXaviera :)
I like the way the person who did not put their name justified their answer by using inverse operation. This is a good way because you can check your answer to see if it is correct. First you divided and got an answer. Then you checked when you multiplied and your answer matched.
ReplyDeleteJacob
I agree with billy because 5 divid by 25 cause 5 can go into 25 5 times but if u did 14 x 25 the it would be a higher number.
ReplyDeleteMicah
this realy helped me
ReplyDeletefrom: thomas
the real qestion is 152 plus 61 plus 38 divided by 8 eqals 8 divided by 251 eqals 6 plus 40 eqals 46 boxes for teckdeks.
ReplyDeletethomas
Thomas, can you please extend your thinking a little further, so I can understand what your srategy is?
ReplyDeleteXaviera
to get the quotient i divided 251 by 8.
ReplyDelete251
8
----
31r3
also,to check my answer i used an inverse operation.
31
+ 8
----
248
the remainder is 3, because you cannot divide 8 into 3 equal groups so therefore the remainder is 3.
248
+ 3
----
so,ms. tavares will need 32 boxes in total,unless she confiscates 3 of the techdecs.then, she will need only 31 boxes.
!!***ISABEAU***!!
but if someone stole som of the skatbords than how many boxes would they need than?
ReplyDelete**!M1CAH!**
Thomas, i agree with what Xaviera said.your comment was not very clear.i like how you had a different answer than what most people had.
ReplyDelete!!***ISABEAU***!!
I agree with charlotte because it also helps me when i can hear the question by another person.
ReplyDeleteamber
i agree with Jacob that the person who did not put their name supported their answer well.it was easy to read and well put together.
ReplyDelete!!***ISABEAU***!!
i agree with charlotte and amber
ReplyDelete