They (Ma and Pa Kettle)tried to use traditional algorithm which wasn't working for them.Billy should have done 5 circles then 5 dots in each one, then counted them. It would have been hard to prove otherwise.I can relate to Billy's frustration.When I was trying to help my grade 2 sister (she's in Mrs. Mackenzie's class)she just would not get it!
I think that Billy was frustrated because ma and pa kettle answer was right but bill just to just show them that he could be right.so ma and pa tried all thees different ways to show him that they where right.so then billy tried as whele.Therefore this is why i think ma and pa where right.AZARA<><><>
A strategy in the video above that was used, but was incorrect, was how they used a strategy similar to traditional algorithm to add up 14 + 14 + 14 + 14 + 14. The reason why it did not end up with the correct answer is because he did not consider place value and counted the 1 in 14 as a one on the place value chart when 1's value in 14 is actually 10. :)
I agree with Anna that Ma and Pa didn't consider place value when adding. Furthermore, 14+4+14+14+14=70 which is much higher than 25. Billy was correct because 5 goes equally into 25 5 times. Therefore; every person would get 5 percent (not including Ma and Pa Kettle. Sometimes I get stumped on my homework and I ask my parents to come help me, sometimes I don't understand what they are telling me. It also happens when I help my brother who sometimes doesn't understand what I'm saying. Also, sometimes we (my parents and I) don't understand what my brother's saying. That's how my family can relate to Billy's frustration. ERIC>:o)
I agree with Anna because in the video, ma and pa didn't understand the place value.The one in the 10's column represents 10 not 1. therefore ma and pa are wrong.
I read a few of the comments and the first one (not sure who made it) said Billy could have made a picture to show that 25 divided by 5 is 5, and I believe that this strategy would work more effectively than using numbers in this situation. In the video, Pa & Ma did not consider the place value of the number 1 in 14. By using the strategy that the first comment explained, you could just count up the dots in each group and you'd get 25, therefore proving that Billy is correct. :D
Billy had the correct answer 5x5=25. I know because when ma and pa added 5 14s they mixed up the place value.Instead of adding 5 4s and 5 10s they added 5 4s and 5 1s witch is equal to 5 5s[t5x5=25].
I can relate to Billy's frustration in the video because in my family,whenever I try to explain something to them and they do not understand, I sometimes get very frustrated and mad.
Ma and Pa had problems with place value each time they tried to solve 25 divided by 5. First they divided 5 into 5 and then into 20 and came up with 14 and then they added 14 5 times and mixed up the place value of the numbers again and came up with 25. Billy was frustrated because even though he tried different strategies, he couldn't convince them the answer was 5.
Sometimes my brother has the wrong answer and I can't convince him of the correct answer and I get frustrated.
the strategies discussed in the video was dividing,and maltapction and adding Billy when he was adding he did the ones and did not do the tens then pa did the tens and billy got mad.
Billy was feeling frustrated and mad because Ma and Pa did not understand Billy's strategie, and so he was arguing with Ma and Pa showing them that their strategy was wrong and his was right.
I agree with Anna (301) because Ma & Pa just added 5 14s and got 25 witch is wrong because 14 +14+14+14+14=70 and Pa added the 10s as 1s.Billy was right because he multiplied 5 times 5 witch =25.Billy's answer proved that each person would get 5% not including Ma & Pa. Marcel :)
I think that even though ma and pa kettle were wrong they had a better argument then Billy and that Billy should of explained with more detail backing up his answer.I can relate with this video because sometimes my mom and I argue the same way like ma ,pa and Billy when we do division and multiplication. Portia
INFO: Billy Kettle thinks that he and his 4 brothers should share the 25% into 5% each but Ma + Pa think they should share it 25% into 14%.
WHAT: Which % idea was right?
SHOW: Division: Billy said 25/5= 5 (5 doesn’t go into 2 but it goes into 25 5 times) which is correct. But Ma + Pa say 5/25=14. 5/5=1, the 20 moves down then 5/20=4, to become 14. That is incorrect. First of all you’re supposed to divide the big number by the little number (so 25 by 5) but they did it the other way around. Secondly they only used the 5 instead of the 25 and they got 2 different answers. Third their place value was off. If you add 1+4 it = 5 not 14: they took 1 as 10. Fourth if they used the numbers in the right order, they would get 5/25=0.2
Multiplication: Billy did 5x5=25. That is correct because 5+5+5+5+5 is 5x5 so they should have the same answer (which they do). But Ma + Pa say 14x5=25: 5x4= 20 and 5x1=5 then 20+5=25. That is incorrect. First of all they broke down the number wrong again; it’s not separate numbers and the value is wrong. Second of all if 14x5 is 25 then 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5 should also equal 25, but it equals 70.
Addition: Billy Does 14+14+14+14+14 to prove it doesn’t equal 25. He does the ones column first (4+4+4+4+4) and he gets 20. Then for the tens column he gets 50 (10+10+10+10+10). 20+50=70. But Ma + Pa do the ones column and they get 20 (4+4+4+4+4) but then they get 5 for the tens column (1+1+1+1+1). This is incorrect. First of all Ma + Pa added the second column as 1’s not 10’s. So they had added 50 as 5 and instead of 70 (50+20) they got 25 (20+1+1+1+1+1) and their place value was off. Second of all, the 14 is 10+ 4. Not 5 (1+4) the number’s value was miscalculated.
STATE: The math in Billy’s idea was right, so the 5 people should get 5% each. (Ma + Pa were on the right track but they didn’t use the right numbers in their strategies, which were also good)
Bonus Question: How frustrated was Billy? : A description of Billy’s anger (with his parent’s lack of math knowledge) wasn’t that big. He was upset (because now he has to re-think his %) but he could of done more than throw a piece of chalk on the ground (I would have). But still his rage was about 2-5 at the most. A good way to put it is he’s mildly annoyed. Becky
Becky, I really enjoyed reading all that you wrote, not only the info, what, show, and state strategie to solving math problems, but also different ways you showed it in, division, multiplication, and addition. I also enjoyed the bonus question. Great Job, Becky!!!
Azara, I agree with you but do you think you could extend your answer further?I found that it was a bit unclear.I like how you supported your evidence. It's cool that you did not say that Billy was right like everybody else did October 4th 2011 ***Isabeau***
I think that Billy was feeling frustrated about ma and pa not considering place value because when I am trying to explain something to someone I get frustrated when they're not listing to me. .Also Becky I really liked how you went through all the time and effort to put the show and state.Great Job!! -Henry
Billy is frustrated because Pa thinks it is 14, but Ma and Billy think it is 25. Pa thinks it is 14 because he does not know the place value. This is the way they should have done it. 4+4+4+4+4=20 and put the 0 under the 4 and carry the 2 and add 1+1+1+1+1=5 then add the 2+5=7. Then you have 14+14+14+14+14=70. So it is not 14 or 25. That means they were all wrong. By traditional algorithm, it is 70. Alexandra, Rm. 308
I agree with Xaviera. Becky's comment was very detailed and she even used the info, what, show, state, to answer a question that was sort of implied, but not directly asked. Your show was well done in my opinion since it's harder to show your work in a comment so kudos to you! ;D
You could tell that Billy was frustrated with his parents and annoyed because of the ending and how he just threw the chalk to the floor. It's hard to explain how you know you're right especially when the ones you're trying to prove to have their own way and are arguing with you. I can relate when my brother and I were arguing over something and I was trying to tell him that I know I was right, but unfortunately he chose not to listen to my ideas, lol. :/
Like Xaviera and Anna,I think that Becky did a great job when she answered the question.I did not think of using info,what,show,state.Great job,Becky! October 05 2011 *!!Isabeau!!*
I Can Relate To Billy Because When My Older Silblings Trys To Teach Me Something New I Say "NO! This Is The Way My Teacher Taught Me And I Know It! I Don't Know What Your Talking About" Or Something Like That. But For Billy's Question I Think The Answer Is Like This:
5 *5 25
Because 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 25 Because 5, 10, 15, 20, 25
Becky, I liked the way you broke down each way billy tried to convince ma and pa he was right and catching were ma and pa went wrong. also i think that billy didn't put up a good argument because he didn't break his ideas down and acted like it was so clear but ma and pa had a better argument because even though they were wrong they broke it down and it was more clear then when billy did it. - Kyana
I agree with riley because billy was frustrated because ma and pa were arguing that everyone should get 14 so they started using very odd strategies to see who was right but ma and pa had a better argument. jenny
Billy is frustrated because ma and pa think it is 14 and billy thinks it is 25 he is frustrated because they are just fighting back and forth. Alexandra Rm 308
If you know your division and your multiplication than this question is very easy. Billy is so frustrated because ma and billy think it is 25 but they did the answer in a different way. Pa thinks it is 14 because he did it a way different way then ma and billy. That is why billy is so frustrated.
I can relate to Billy because sometimes I ask my parents and my older sister for help in math, I show them my strategy on doing the question, they show me their strategy to do the question, which sometimes gets me confused and a bit frustrated.
I agree with riley because billy was frustrated because ma and pa were arguing that everyone should get 14 so they started using very odd strategies to see who was right but ma and pa had a better argument. because they were right. Anna 308
i think that the strategy ma and pa used was incorrect because ma and pa had the place values incorrect.They still used the traditional algorythm (14+14+14+14+14)but they thought the tens place was the ones place. julia
I know Billy is right because he used inverse operations to check his answer. For example 5 x 5 = 25 and 25 divided by 5 = 5. Ma got the right answer 25 but the way she got there was confusing and didn’t make sense Pa got the wrong answer because he divided 25 into 2 and 5. Neal
Even though Ma and Pa Kettle had the better argument they still had the wrong answer wrong answer because they divided 25 into 2 and 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my opinion I think Billy is correct because ma and pa are counting the tens column as if it was in the ones column therefore, the answer would have to be 25 because if you do it like ma and pa, 14 times 5 would be 70 instead of 25.
They (Ma and Pa Kettle)tried to use traditional algorithm which wasn't working for them.Billy should have done 5 circles then 5 dots in each one, then counted them. It would have been hard to prove otherwise.I can relate to Billy's frustration.When I was trying to help my grade 2 sister (she's in Mrs. Mackenzie's class)she just would not get it!
ReplyDeleteEven though Ma and Pa Kettle were wrong,they had a better argument then Billy.
ReplyDelete-Isabeau
I think that Billy was frustrated because ma and pa kettle answer was right but bill just to just show them that he could be right.so ma and pa tried all thees different ways to show him that they where right.so then billy tried as whele.Therefore this is why i think ma and pa where right.AZARA<><><>
ReplyDeleteA strategy in the video above that was used, but was incorrect, was how they used a strategy similar to traditional algorithm to add up 14 + 14 + 14 + 14 + 14. The reason why it did not end up with the correct answer is because he did not consider place value and counted the 1 in 14 as a one on the place value chart when 1's value in 14 is actually 10. :)
ReplyDelete- Anna (301)
I agree with Anna that Ma and Pa didn't consider place value when adding. Furthermore, 14+4+14+14+14=70 which is much higher than 25. Billy was correct because 5 goes equally into 25 5 times. Therefore; every person would get 5 percent (not including Ma and Pa Kettle. Sometimes I get stumped on my homework and I ask my parents to come help me, sometimes I don't understand what they are telling me. It also happens when I help my brother who sometimes doesn't understand what I'm saying. Also, sometimes we (my parents and I) don't understand what my brother's saying. That's how my family can relate to Billy's frustration. ERIC>:o)
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Anna and Neil.I think that ma and pa were rushing and just wanted to be right!!!!!therefor ma and pa are wrong!!
ReplyDelete-Lillian
I agree with Anna because in the video, ma and pa didn't understand the place value.The one in the 10's column represents 10 not 1. therefore ma and pa are wrong.
ReplyDeleteEvan:)
i agree with Anna because ma and pa didn't understand the place value.
ReplyDelete-Emmett
Ma and Pa had a hard time adding because they added the units as units but they added the tens as units. 4+4+4+4+4+1+1+1+1+1+1 which equals 25.
ReplyDelete14
14
14
14
+14
----
70
Jacob
Billy was having trouble explaining that 25 divided by 5 = 5 because ma and pa kettle didn't understand place value.
ReplyDeletejackson :-)
I read a few of the comments and the first one (not sure who made it) said Billy could have made a picture to show that 25 divided by 5 is 5, and I believe that this strategy would work more effectively than using numbers in this situation. In the video, Pa & Ma did not consider the place value of the number 1 in 14. By using the strategy that the first comment explained, you could just count up the dots in each group and you'd get 25, therefore proving that Billy is correct. :D
ReplyDelete- Anna (301)
Billy had the correct answer 5x5=25. I know because when ma and pa added 5 14s they mixed up the place value.Instead of adding 5 4s and 5 10s they added 5 4s and 5 1s witch is equal to 5 5s[t5x5=25].
ReplyDelete_Henry
I thought that they were arguing because they each had different strategies to get to the answer. Ma and Pa's strategies didn't make sense.
ReplyDeleteAdam5
I can relate to Billy's frustration in the video because in my family,whenever I try to explain something to them and they do not understand, I sometimes get very frustrated and mad.
ReplyDeleteI agree with isebeau because every time billy gave a strategy ma and pa would use the same strategy and get there answer
ReplyDeleteCharlotte:0)
Ma and Pa had problems with place value each time they tried to solve 25 divided by 5. First they divided 5 into 5 and then into 20 and came up with 14 and then they added 14 5 times and mixed up the place value of the numbers again and came up with 25. Billy was frustrated because even though he tried different strategies, he couldn't convince them the answer was 5.
ReplyDeleteSometimes my brother has the wrong answer and I can't convince him of the correct answer and I get frustrated.
the strategies discussed in the video was dividing,and maltapction and adding Billy when he was adding he did the ones and did not do the tens then pa did the tens and billy got mad.
ReplyDeleteJeremy<("<)
ma and pa had a good argument but they were wrong.but i aprreciate them putting all that effort.$$XAVIER$$
ReplyDeletethe guy was fusterated because they did not understand the place value
ReplyDelete-kioni
Billy was feeling frustrated and mad because Ma and Pa did not understand Billy's strategie, and so he was arguing with Ma and Pa showing them that their strategy was wrong and his was right.
ReplyDeleteXaviera :) <3
I agree with Anna (301) because Ma & Pa just added 5 14s and got 25 witch is wrong because 14 +14+14+14+14=70 and Pa added the 10s as 1s.Billy was right because he multiplied 5 times 5 witch =25.Billy's answer proved that each person would get 5% not including Ma & Pa.
ReplyDeleteMarcel :)
I think that even though ma and pa kettle were wrong they had a better argument then Billy and that Billy should of explained with more detail backing up his answer.I can relate with this video because sometimes my mom and I argue the same way like ma ,pa and Billy when we do division and multiplication.
ReplyDeletePortia
Here is another example of where the ones place value is mixed up with the tens place value.
ReplyDeleteFor example:
Billy’s Correct Algorithm
5 x 15 = 75
15+15+15+15+15 = 75
Ma and Pa’s Incorrect Algorithm
5 x 15 = 30
5+5+5+5+5+1+1+1+1+1 = 30
Can you come up with your own example?
Adam5
INFO: Billy Kettle thinks that he and his 4 brothers should share the 25% into 5% each but Ma + Pa think they should share it 25% into 14%.
ReplyDeleteWHAT: Which % idea was right?
SHOW:
Division: Billy said 25/5= 5 (5 doesn’t go into 2 but it goes into 25 5 times) which is correct. But Ma + Pa say 5/25=14. 5/5=1, the 20 moves down then 5/20=4, to become 14. That is incorrect.
First of all you’re supposed to divide the big number by the little number (so 25 by 5) but they did it the other way around. Secondly they only used the 5 instead of the 25 and they got 2 different answers. Third their place value was off. If you add 1+4 it = 5 not 14: they took 1 as 10. Fourth if they used the numbers in the right order, they would get 5/25=0.2
Multiplication: Billy did 5x5=25. That is correct because 5+5+5+5+5 is 5x5 so they should have the same answer (which they do). But Ma + Pa say 14x5=25: 5x4= 20 and 5x1=5 then 20+5=25. That is incorrect.
First of all they broke down the number wrong again; it’s not separate numbers and the value is wrong. Second of all if 14x5 is 25 then 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5 should also equal 25, but it equals 70.
Addition: Billy Does 14+14+14+14+14 to prove it doesn’t equal 25. He does the ones column first (4+4+4+4+4) and he gets 20. Then for the tens column he gets 50 (10+10+10+10+10). 20+50=70. But Ma + Pa do the ones column and they get 20 (4+4+4+4+4) but then they get 5 for the tens column (1+1+1+1+1). This is incorrect.
First of all Ma + Pa added the second column as 1’s not 10’s. So they had added 50 as 5 and instead of 70 (50+20) they got 25 (20+1+1+1+1+1) and their place value was off. Second of all, the 14 is 10+ 4. Not 5 (1+4) the number’s value was miscalculated.
STATE: The math in Billy’s idea was right, so the 5 people should get 5% each. (Ma + Pa were on the right track but they didn’t use the right numbers in their strategies, which were also good)
Bonus Question: How frustrated was Billy? : A description of Billy’s anger (with his parent’s lack of math knowledge) wasn’t that big. He was upset (because now he has to re-think his %) but he could of done more than throw a piece of chalk on the ground (I would have). But still his rage was about 2-5 at the most. A good way to put it is he’s mildly annoyed.
Becky
Becky, I really enjoyed reading all that you wrote, not only the info, what, show, and state strategie to solving math problems, but also different ways you showed it in, division, multiplication, and addition. I also enjoyed the bonus question. Great Job, Becky!!!
ReplyDeleteXaviera :D
Azara, I agree with you but do you think you could extend your answer further?I found that it was a bit unclear.I like how you supported your evidence. It's cool that you did not say that Billy was right like everybody else did
ReplyDeleteOctober 4th 2011
***Isabeau***
I think that Billy was feeling frustrated about ma and pa not considering place value because when I am trying to explain something to someone I get frustrated when they're not listing to me.
ReplyDelete.Also Becky I really liked how you went through all the time and effort to put the show and state.Great Job!!
-Henry
Billy is frustrated because Pa thinks it is 14, but Ma and Billy
ReplyDeletethink it is 25. Pa thinks it is 14 because he does not know the
place value. This is the way they should have done it.
4+4+4+4+4=20 and put the 0 under the 4 and carry the 2 and
add 1+1+1+1+1=5 then add the 2+5=7. Then you have
14+14+14+14+14=70. So it is not 14 or 25. That means they
were all wrong. By traditional algorithm, it is 70.
Alexandra, Rm. 308
to add on to isabeu ma and pa were rong but they had a great argument like 14+14+14+14+14= 70 but ma and pa added the tens on to the ones
ReplyDelete___
ADAM (\_/)
you can count with your fingers by 5s like 5, 10, 15, 20,25. can you find a different way? Owen
ReplyDeleteI agree with Xaviera. Becky's comment was very detailed and she even used the info, what, show, state, to answer a question that was sort of implied, but not directly asked. Your show was well done in my opinion since it's harder to show your work in a comment so kudos to you! ;D
ReplyDeleteYou could tell that Billy was frustrated with his parents and annoyed because of the ending and how he just threw the chalk to the floor. It's hard to explain how you know you're right especially when the ones you're trying to prove to have their own way and are arguing with you. I can relate when my brother and I were arguing over something and I was trying to tell him that I know I was right, but unfortunately he chose not to listen to my ideas, lol. :/
- Anna (301)
Like Xaviera and Anna,I think that Becky did a great job when she answered the question.I did not think of using info,what,show,state.Great job,Becky!
ReplyDeleteOctober 05 2011
*!!Isabeau!!*
i like what adam and iabeau i love the way ma and pa put there answer togeather unfortionetly they were wrong.$$XAVIER$$
ReplyDeleteI can relate to Billy's frustration.If I am helping my sister,she often just doesn't get it!What Billy should have done was add 5+5+5+5+5.
ReplyDelete5+5+5+5+5=25
!!***ISABEAU***!!
billy was right but pa and ma had a good fight and ma and pa had good ways to prove their answer but they were looking at it the wrong way
ReplyDeletekohel
I agree with Isabeau if you just went 5,10,15,20,25 he would go thoru alt less.
ReplyDeleteI Can Relate To Billy Because When My Older Silblings Trys To Teach Me Something New I Say "NO! This Is The Way My Teacher Taught Me And I Know It! I Don't Know What Your Talking About" Or Something Like That. But For Billy's Question I Think The Answer Is Like This:
ReplyDelete5
*5
25
Because 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 25 Because 5, 10, 15, 20, 25
Well At Least That is What I Think The Answer Is.
***BREANN*** :P :O)
Billy is frustrated with ma and pa because there math is wrong because 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 25
ReplyDeleteand they think its 14.
Riley
Becky, I liked the way you broke down each way billy tried to convince ma and pa he was right and catching were ma and pa went wrong. also i think that billy didn't put up a good argument because he didn't break his ideas down and acted like it was so clear but ma and pa had a better argument because even though they were wrong they broke it down and it was more clear then when billy did it. - Kyana
ReplyDeleteI agree with riley because billy was frustrated because ma and pa were arguing that everyone should get 14 so they started using very odd strategies to see who was right but ma and pa had a better argument.
ReplyDeletejenny
I think that Billy is frustrated because even though he had the logic is parents wouldn't listen.Simon
ReplyDeletema and pa had a good argument but their math was incorrect and they could have used different stratigeis to solve the problem.
ReplyDeletemark$$$
BNilly is probably really frustrated because he has the logic in the argument but he can't prove to Ma and Pa that he's right.Simon
ReplyDeleteBilly is frustrated because ma and pa think it is 14 and billy thinks it is 25 he is frustrated because they are just fighting back and forth.
ReplyDeleteAlexandra Rm 308
I like what you said mark but next time you should give some examples of strategies like
ReplyDelete"I think these are a awesome strategies for this question..."
or something like that
***BREANN*** :p :o) :op
Becky i really enjoyed reading what you wrote! not only did you used the Info, What, Show, State but you added a bonus question
ReplyDeleteRoMi
Mrs.Tavares has 31R3 storage boxes but there can't be a remainder so I added 3 and 31 and i got 32 so, Mrs.Tavares has 32 storage boxes.
ReplyDeleteMicah
If you know your division and your multiplication than this question is very easy. Billy is so frustrated because ma and billy think it is 25 but they did the answer in a different way. Pa thinks it is 14 because he did it a way different way then ma and billy. That is why billy is so frustrated.
ReplyDeletewhat if billy thought 5x14 was 25? how would this change the situation? would it be better or worse?
ReplyDelete!!***ISABEAU***!!
I can relate to Billy because sometimes I ask my parents and my older sister for help in math, I show them my strategy on doing the question, they show me their strategy to do the question, which sometimes gets me confused and a bit frustrated.
ReplyDelete*Xaviera* :D
Great video
ReplyDeleteI agree with riley because billy was frustrated because ma and pa were arguing that everyone should get 14 so they started using very odd strategies to see who was right but ma and pa had a better argument. because they were right.
ReplyDeleteAnna 308
i think that the strategy ma and pa used was incorrect because ma and pa had the place values incorrect.They still used the traditional algorythm (14+14+14+14+14)but they thought the tens place was the ones place.
ReplyDeletejulia
I agree with xaviera because sometimes when i ask my parents a question and they both want to be right they rush into the question and get it rong.
ReplyDeleteI aree with Xaviera because sometimes when i ask my parents a math question they both want to be right and they get the question wrong
ReplyDeleteamber
I can relate to billy's frustration because 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 25.Also because 5 x 5 =25 not 14.
ReplyDeleteRiley
I know Billy is right because he used inverse operations to check his answer.
ReplyDeleteFor example 5 x 5 = 25 and 25 divided by 5 = 5.
Ma got the right answer 25 but the way she got there was confusing and didn’t make sense
Pa got the wrong answer because he divided 25 into 2 and 5.
Neal
i agree with isabeau ma and pa did have a good argument. $**MICAH**$
ReplyDeleteEven though Ma and Pa Kettle had the better argument they still had the wrong answer wrong answer because they divided 25 into 2 and 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteRoMi
i agree with billy because ma and pa were not listning what billy thats why ma and pa wrong.
ReplyDeletejohnny:]!!!!!!!!!!!!$
johnny,what if ma and pa just had a better argument than billy?
ReplyDelete!!***ISABEAU***!!
In my opinion I think Billy is correct because ma and pa are counting the tens column as if it was in the ones column therefore, the answer would have to be 25 because if you do it like ma and pa, 14 times 5 would be 70 instead of 25.
ReplyDeleteJulian